Online graphics and image manipulation just like Photoshop
Rob — September 3, 2010 - 07:24
This is my first blog post on my newly themed website. The first thing I wanted to do after installing this theme was to create a logo to replace the original. Since I do not have Photoshop installed I was thinking there could be an online tool? I then recall that a friend of mine sent me a link to such a tool, but I had deleted the email and forgot the name of this little gem. However, I did remember the interface and that it was very similar to Photoshop. So I Googled "online photo editing" and the first hit was the site http://www.pixlr.com/editor/ .. found it! Pixlr Editor is a very slick Adobe Flash application - and has many features. I created the logo on this site using very little of these features one of which is the Text tool, let's explore...
The Text Tool
One of the features I used was the Text tool. By the way, all the fonts are installed on the server, so I did not need them installed on my local computer. Your text is displayed with font preview, but cycling through them with your mouse is not as easy as the real Photoshop.
However, I discovered a small trick that you can use to preview the fonts quickly using the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard. This is how you can get that tool to work:
- First go to http://www.pixlr.com/editor/, on the splash screen choose "Create a new image" and click OK to create a new image of size 800x600
- Click the "A" icon in the thin Tools panel on the left. Then click inside the newly created image where you want the text to appear
- A Text dialog box window appears awaiting your Text, Font, Size, Style and Color selections.
- Enter some text then click the downward pointing arrow to the right of the Font drop down list.
- Without moving and clicking your mouse, use your up and down arrow keys to cycle through all your font selections!
Viola! Have fun.